This new research study looks at the causes of death for people with intellectual disabilities and specifically adults with Down syndrome.
- “for Down syndrome adults ‘Down syndrome’,and dementia were most common.” [cause of death]
- [people with intellectual disabilities] “die younger, from different causes than other people”
- As caregivers, there are things we need to know and do to prevent early death of our loved ones:
- “training to avoid aspiration/choking,
- pain identification to address problems before they are advanced, and
- reasonable adjustments to improve healthcare quality.”
The full research study is available below.